Thursday, October 13, 2005

That's a lot of work

So. Here's a progress check. Today and tomorrow is my standard first aid/level C CPR course. I am also in progress on getting my references aligned.

Yesterday I got my eyes checked - Fortunately withing limits, I was kinda worried about that. I got my fingerprints taken, but I think they used the wrong version of the form. I went to my family doctor to get my clearance to take the physical abilities test (not like it's going to be a big deal, I ran it last month and passed it, just for fun, and I didn't die from it) but the Doc wants to have a cholesterol test first, because the clearance form asks if I have a cholesterol problem. I did a typing test - aparantly I can do 32.6 words per minute, with zero errors! I only need 18 WPM to get in.

Daily summary, 4 tasks completed, 1 added. Groan.

Tuesday I got my PARE test booked, next Wednesday at 3:30 PM! I also got my drivers abstract and transcripts from the college ordered, and made all the apointments for the rest of the week. The force does not give you a lot of time to get this paperwork accomplished, so to any potential recruits out there that are reading ths, HAVE YOUR SHIT TOGETHER!!

In addition to all the tasks I am running around acomplishing, I am also keeping up with my PT routine. About 5 days a week right now. I actually have to log my PT so at any time Staffing Branch can call me up and have me fax them off my log. I have a printed program for my weight training to refer to (the benefit of working with a professional trainer!) so I can basically check the boxes for that form.

My polygraph exam is going to be a nightmare! I have never been so intimidated before in my life! There are some pretty probing questions in there, trying to find out exactly what time of person you are. And what are you going to do, lie to them?? The RCMP is the last major force in Canada to adopt the polygraph for recruit screening. I really wish I had been about 3 or 4 months earlier in applying, then I wouldn't have to worry about it, it is that new. At the end of the day, the thing is like the said in my recruiting breifing that I attended prior to writing the exam. "Nobody is an angel, nobody is perfect. Let us make the determination if that thing in your past is a big deal or not." I suppose that there isn't really anything in my past that most people, including most cops, haven't done. I truly don't have anything to hide. Sure, there are a few episodes in my life that I am less than proud of, but it's not like I am a fugitive from anything. That's the next thing I have to get done, fill out that damned thing.

Actually, after I get my course done tomorrow, that will be all I have to get done - fill out paperwork. Fortunately, with all my previous experience in aviation I speak fluent Federalese, and I am pretty good at dealing with paperwork. My general plan is to get my PARE certificate on Wednesday, then pop it in the envelope as the last item to go, and drive it down by hand thursday morning. Which means that a week from right now, I will be sitting down trying to get ready for the selection interview.

1 Comments:

At 14/10/05 18:43, Blogger cat said...

are they going to ask if you've ever had gay sex? because you shoudl totally say yes to that because it would be funny.

or you know, sex with popcicles.

good luck, bento ol' chap!

 

Post a Comment