Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Now that's almost like stealing!

Last night I had a dream about work again.

I should really be getting paid for it because I would have sworn I was actually there, at work, working. There were no hippopotamuses doing ballet through the aisles so I couldn't even tell I was dreaming until I woke up and found myself in bed. That's so close to having the company steal from me it's not even funny.

I don't know what it is but since I've become a boss I've been having dreams like these. I've never had to hire people before (which is actually pretty easy as long as you're careful and prudent) or discipline staff who are getting out of line (which feels like I'm walking through a minefield during an artillery barrage). I have a new challenge to answer this week - I have to write and present a performance review to one of my staff members which includes an annual pay review. Direct to his pocketbook. I also have to write and present two other performance reviews to some other staff, but at least not money ones.

The funny thing is, I don't feel stressed about work ever. Maybe that's a sign that I'm not understanding the situation, I don't know.

How come the brochure said this was going to be an easy, glamourous job?

3 Comments:

At 2/3/05 11:18, Blogger cat said...

managing is never easy or glamorous. you hold people's lives in your hands. you can be evile or kind.

i generally have nightmares about work. i hate this place.

 
At 2/3/05 14:33, Blogger Kyle said...

Yeah, I think about that when I am making up scheduled. One stroke of the pen and one person is going to the food bank and another is planning a vacation. Not an easy feeling to get used to. I have a business to run though, and I have to be accountable for the effecincy or inefficiency with which it operates. If a part time employee can't be availiable when we need them; or is only availiable when we don't need them, then they can't work. Tough to get used to.

 
At 4/3/05 07:12, Blogger cat said...

um.. what;s up with that odd post from thursday march 3?

 

Post a Comment